2 tablespoons ground cumin
2 tablespoons ground coriander
2 tablespoons ground smoked paprika
1 tablespoon fennel seeds, toasted and ground
1 chicken, cut into 8 pieces
Salt and freshly cracked black pepper
1/4 cup canola oil
2 cloves garlic, sliced
1 onion, cut into 8 wedges
1 carrot, peeled and chopped
One 28-ounce can San Marzano tomatoes, crushed
1 cup white wine
1 cup dates, pitted and roughly chopped
1 cup green olives, pitted
2 lemons, cut into 8 wedges, seeds removed, charred on a grill or grill pan
1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted
2 tablespoons torn fresh mint
1 tablespoon torn fresh cilantro
1. The day before cooking, stir together the cumin, coriander, smoked paprika and fennel in a small bowl until well combined.
2. Season the chicken on all sides with salt and pepper, then coat the meat with the spice mixture. Refrigerate overnight to season.
3. When ready to cook, preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
4. Heat the oil in a Dutch oven over high heat until it barely begins to smoke.
5. Sear the chicken skin-side down until browned and crisp, 5 to 8 minutes. Remove to a plate and reserve.
6. Add the garlic, onions and carrots to the same pot and cook until the vegetables are caramelized, 8 to 10 minutes.
7. Add the tomatoes and white wine and bring to a simmer.
8. Return the chicken to the pot and top with the dates, olives and lemons.
9. Bake, uncovered, until the chicken is tender, 45 minute to an hour. Sprinkle with the pine nuts, mint and cilantro and serve immediately.